Fanatic Live 004 & an intimate gig with Frank Turner
Award winning singer-songwriter Frank Turner and online music discovery platform Secret Sessions turned up at Ear to the Ground’s Soho, London office on Thursday (18th July) to perform an intimate acoustic set presented by Ear to the Ground’s insight and planning department – FANATIC (www.eartotheground.org/fanatic)
Heralded as "The people's prince of punk poetry" by the NME, Frank Turner has amassed a huge and adoring fan base, breakthrough radio hits and of course opened the London 2012 Olympic Ceremony. Today he went from playing live to crowds of 70,000 with billions watching worldwide to an exclusive set at Ear To The Ground HQ.
After the performance, the agency hosted a roundtable with music industry and brand experts including Mark Knight - Strategy/MEC, Ollie Clueit, Founder of My Bands Better PR and Manager of John Newman who recently landed a UK No.1 with Rudimental and Harriet Jordan Wrench, Founder of Secret Sessions. The discussion covered a wide range of topics including what brands can learn from artists (such as Frank Turner) who have built their own fan-base through unconventional methods and the present controversy around Spotify and whether they are a “friend of foe”.
The ‘5 things brands can learn from Frank Turner’ that came out of the discussion were:
1. Enhance don’t interrupt - Make sure you are improving the fans experience
2. Get a reaction - Create emotions and earn a connection
3. Make it fan driven – Get fan feedback, they should be at the centre of every campaign
4. Work with the right talent – Make sure the partnership works for the artist and the brand and consider the bigger picture.
5. Be authentic – Build a fan base with authenticity whilst also focusing on the power of shared experience.
If you’d like any further images, information on this roundtable or FANATIC in general or if you wish to speak with Steve Smith, MD and Founder of Ear to the Ground, please do let us know and we can arrange this for you.